Saturday, July 4, 2009

What Jotham did wrong


God is so cool! I love how He will suprised me with the truth when I least expect it.
Yesterday I wrote about Jothem and I think that I called him a good guy (ok I realize no one is really good except God). Anyway I knew that he as well as Allan and all of us had flaws but as of yesterday I knew of no major ones.
Today is a whole new story though as I read in 2 Kings 15 :32-35 Message version says "He acted well in God's eyes, ... But he didn't interfere with the traffic to the neighborhood sex-and-religion shrines; they continued, as popular as ever. The construction of the High Gate to The Temple of God was his work"
Wow! when I read that I felt a little like I have been slammed over the head with a frying pan. No I am not saying that it had anything to do with why he died but it does clearly that God sees what we do and what we don't do.
Look at the last sentence there. The construction of the High Gate to The Temple of God was his work He obviously did some good things in his life but he turned his eyes to injustice.
How many times have I turned the channel when a picture of a child with an extended stomach from lack of food upset me....how many days have I really spent reaching out to the homeless or how often have tried to expose and help fix the diseased areas in my community.
I don't want to spend my life doing good and only be known for what I could"ve done but didn't.
And I know that I don't have to do it all. The verse said he didn't interfere with the traffic to the neighborhood sex-and-religion shrines; they continued, as popular as ever . It looks to me like he didn't even try and make a difference.
I believe that from now on when assessing my life I will not ast myself "What have I done" but "what have I left undone?"
Now the Kicker
It says in the next chapter of Kings that Jothams son...participated in the activities of the neighborhood sex-and-religion shrines that flourished all over the place
Wow looks like what Jotham did wrong had a direct effect on his descendants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts on this?